The Olympic legacy in our region
Our Olympic Legacy Park will be the biggest ‘London 2012 Legacy’ project of its kind in Europe, with facilities for business and the community.
They include the English Institute of Sport Sheffield, iceSheffield, Oasis Academy Don Valley, UTC, Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park, Park Community Arena, a 3G Community Pitch and the centrepiece of the park, the Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre, (AWRC).
A Sheffield Hallam University initiative, the AWRC already has research partnerships in place with Toshiba, Westfield Health and parkrun to create ‘innovations that help people move’.
The AWRC will tackle key public health challenges caused by physical inactivity, and will support the NHS work toward prevention, giving the local community immense exercise opportunities, apprenticeships, and jobs.
Multiple partners will collaborate to deliver cutting edge facilities and equipment, research intelligence and commercialisation expertise to take products from concept to market.
- Advanced Wellbeing Research Centre – a £14m research and development Centre for physical activity, creating ‘innovations that help people move
- English Institute of Sport Sheffield – a world-class multi-sport venue for elite athletes and the local community
- iceSheffield – an Olympic standard twin pad ice arena
- Oasis Academy Don Valley – an all-through school for 1,200 pupils age 2-16
- UTC Sheffield Olympic Legacy Park – facility for 600 students age 14-19 specialising in Health Sciences and Computing
- Park Community Arena – an indoor facility housing 3 full size basketball courts and home to Sheffield Sharks professional basketball team
- Community Pitch – a 3G full size pitch for use by Oasis Academy, UTC Sheffield, AWRC, the local community and Sheffield Eagles professional rugby league team
Global businesses such as Rolls-Royce, Nestle, and Amazon, are just some of the many international companies which have seen the benefits of locating here.