Locating your business in Sheffield City Region puts you on the doorstep of millions of people who are renowned for hard work, resilience and technical skill-sets.
- Home to two world class universities; The University of Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam University which together have 70,000 students and around 5,000-10,000 students graduating each year.
- Over 373,000 qualified people have a degree, or equivalent.
We offer expertise in Engineering and Manufacturing
Our Advanced Manufacturing and Innovation District is the UK’s largest research-led advanced manufacturing cluster, attracting the talents of thousands of people;
- The Advanced manufacturing & materials sector employs approximately 50,000 people across 3,000 companies.
- The Automotive industry employs 17,000** across 2,180* companies inclusive of McLaren Automotive
- Logistics, employs over 15,000** across 435 companies* including: IKEA, Next and Amazon
- The Aerospace sector employs over 7,000** across 495 companies* with key names such as: Boeing, Rolls-Royce, ATI Allvac, Maher, Technicut, and Gould Alloys
Our skills are growing
The number of students enrolled on Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies courses in our region continues to grow;
- Around 20,325 students are studying STEM subjects at university in the SCR.
- The proportion of apprentices studying Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies in our region is higher than the national average.
We offer more
It’s not just Manufacturing and Engineering that our workforce excels in….
- 19,000 people work in Banking and finance with companies such as: HSBC, Santander, BDO, Lloyds Banking Group, Nationwide and RBS
- Professional services: over 7,000 accountants are registered with professional bodies across 8,000 employees in the legal sector, including: DLA Piper, Irwin Mitchell, Grant Thornton, KPMG, CMS, and many patent attorneys
- 7,000 people work in Insurance and pensions across businesses which include high-profile names such as Aviva, Aon Hewitt, Capita and Westfield Health
- Healthcare Technology employs over 2,000 across 85 companies* with names like B. Braun and Orchid Orthopedic
- Our Rail industry employs over 2,925** across 315 companies* with names like Babcock Rail, Wabtec and Hitachi
- 1,500 people work across the 230 Nuclear companies such as the Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre
- Our Aviation sector employs over 225 people, across 10 companies* with names like Textron Aviation.
*Based on figures registered in 2017. **Based on figures registered in 2016.