There are currently 3,100 businesses employing 18,500 people in the digital sector in Sheffield City Region. The sector is reported to be worth more than £1.3 billion to the economy and has seen strong GVA growth of 147% between 1997 and 2015. The City Region has a Digital Action Plan which sets out the shared aspiration for a more productive and higher-value economy with an ambition to be: “A connected City Region, where digital technology and innovation drive economic growth and better outcomes for all.
Sheffield City Region has an ambitious and ever-expanding digital tech sector with four key pillars of tech strength:
• Crossing the areas of technology and manufacturing
• Containing – enabling digital firms in the manufacturing vertical, digital advanced manufacturing
• The region encompasses wide digital creativity; Digital Film tech, Digital Media tech, Creative tech, Games tech, Art tech, Design tech, Entertainment tech Companies include; Sumo Digital, WANdisco, ZOO Digital, Joi Polloi, Universal Everything
EdTech / Learning Tech
• Key UK hub for education technology
• 60% of school digital content is made in Sheffield
• Cluster has strong advocates in the Children’s Media Conference and Department for Companies include; Twinkl, Desq, Tes, Tribal, Tutorful, Leo, Sponge, Can and Kineo
• Encompassing areas into nationally unique cluster
• All areas where digital and movement occurs; Transport Tech, Robotics Tech*, Drone Tech, Health Tech. Companies include; The Floow, 3Squared, Bossanova, Sport:80
INDUSTRIAL DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES
One of Sheffield City Region’s key digital assets is the University of Sheffield’s AMRC facility, Factory 2050 – a fully reconfigurable digital factory demonstrator specialising in advanced robotics, flexible automation, next generation man-machine interfaces and new programming and
Industrial Digital Technologies (IDT) provide the greatest opportunity to improve productivity growth across manufacturing in our region and we have the skills and expertise to help ‘scale up’ businesses to grow and become more successful.
Through a focus on Industry 4.0, innovation and IDT we are extending our significant assets in the Advanced Manufacturing Industrial District and creating opportunities for specialisation, stronger supply chains, a growing digital community and a specialist digital engineer talent pool.